Friday, February 8, 2013

1 Corinthians 9

We are reading Chapter 9 today!

My favorite verses were 24 - 27

           Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (ESV)

These verses talk about people running a race. It says run so that you obtain the prize. That means that you should really try hard to win, but later in these verses it says that when you win you obtain a prize that will not last forever because when you die, you will not still have it in heaven. Paul  is using running as an analogy for telling the gospel to others. When you tell the gospel to people you obtain a prize in Heaven that will last forever.

4 comments:

Joe Hinkle said...

I love that verse Brian! I was going to talk about it but you summed it up pretty well!

I liked verses 13-14. "Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? 14In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel." I liked this verse because it is telling us that we should live off the gospel. Paul uses the example of other ministries and how back then they would live off of part of the ministry so if you are preaching the gospel you should live off of it.

I also like verses 17-18. "For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. 18What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel." I love the way Paul looks at preaching the gospel. He says it is "free of charge", showing how much of a pleasure it is to tell people.

Unknown said...

Today in my reading I liked verse 16 and 27.

Verse 16:
Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!(NLT)

This verse made me think about how I need to be telling more people about God and I need to be inviting them to youth. If I don't tell them how are they going to know about God, so then how are they going to be saved, so then how will they go to heaven?

Verse 27:
I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.(NLT)

I like this verse very much! The training it is talking about is reading your bible, praying to God and going to church. All these things you have to do to prepare yourself for when you tell others about God. You can't be a "Lone-Ranger Christian" as Pastor Rob called it last Sunday, (do Christian life all by yourself) and expect to bring people to Christ.

Wyatt McBride said...

I liked verse 24 "Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! (1 Corinthians 9:24 NLT)" because it says that though all will run, only few will win, kinda like comparing that to the Christian life verses all others in the world in the race to heaven. Only the Christians will win.

Evan McBride said...

I really liked vurse 7 because it talks about the fact that you are doing so much work and you are not takeing any benifit out of it.