Sunday, February 3, 2013

1 Corinthians 5

Today we are reading 1 Corinthians chapter 5.

My favorite verses were 6 - 8. It says,
(6) Your boasting is not good. Do you know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? (7) Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb has been sacrificed. (8) Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

In these verses, the word "leaven" represents sin, and the word "lump" means church. These verses are basically saying that if there is a evil person who has committed sexual immorality, and he has refused to repent to God and the church about the bad things he has done, he should be kicked out of the church. If he is not kicked out of the church, he will drag people away from their Christian faith. And when he is out of the church, everyone can be close to God and celebrate. These verses were very interesting to me because I never thought of it being okay to kick someone out of the church, but now that I have read this, I now understand.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey so 1 Corinthians 5 really confused me so I manly have questions!

Verse 2:
You are so proud of yourselves, but you should be mourning in sorrow and shame. And you should remove this man from your fellowship. (NLT)

Verse 7:
Get rid of the old “yeast” by removing this wicked person from among you. Then you will be like a fresh batch of dough made without yeast, which is what you really are. Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us.(NLT)

Verse 12:
It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning.(NLT)

Okay so now my questions:

In verse 2 and 7 they talk about casting the person out of the church who sins. But shouldn't we be helping this person get back on track with God, not leave them out by themselves to get right with God? I mean Pastor Rob was just talking about this yesterday, he said in one of his points letter E was: "Church family will help your life of sin."

In verse 12 it is talking about judging. When I read it, I took it as Paul was saying you can judge the people in church but not the outsiders. So we can judge people in church but not the outsiders? That makes no sense to me! If anything I would think that it would be the other way around! Plus I thought we were not supposed to judge ANYONE because we are not good enough and only God could judge because he is far and knows what he is doing! I mean we just talked about that last Wednesday!

Help I am so confused! :(

Joe Hinkle said...

God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you." 1 Corinthians 5:13

We are not to judge people outside the church because that is God's job. We, however, are to correct those who say they are part of the church.

Unknown said...

My favorite part was verses 12-13, because it is talking about judging not being our responsibility, but leave it for God, because God knows who is sinning and who is not.

Wyatt McBride said...

And once again, my mom had to be logged in.

Evan McBride said...

I really liked vurse 6 because it says that a little bit of something can affect the thing as a whole. like putting one drop of poisin in a glass of water, its not alot compared to the water but it can still effect the whole body.