Friday, November 9, 2012

John 12

John 12
John 12 is Friday's Bible reading! I loved this chapter soooooooooooooooooooooo (23, Does that count?) much, when I read it this morning! Yesterday, I went on a run with one of my school friends that is a senior. We started talking about God, and He told me about why he thought Jesus said a Christian is a seed. He showed me how a seed is dead, then once it receives water it starts to live and grow. We were dead in sin, but then we received living water from Jesus. Now everyday we grow stronger in our faith, and closer to Jesus. Yesterday as a group we learned so many things from God.
Abbey talked about John 11:35 Jesus wept. She showed us how the verse revealed, even though Jesus is God he was also human.

Maria liked in John 11:4 when Jesus said, "this sickness does not end in death. No it is for God's glory so that God's Son must be glorified through it." Maria liked it because whenever bad things happen her faith grows so it helps keep in mind that God has a plan for us.

Jackie pointed out that in John 11:9 when Jesus referred to the 12 hours of daylight he could have been referring to the disciples letting them know they have the light of God in them.   

Brian showed how the reason Jesus waited 4 days to heal Lazarus could have been so more people could witness his miracle. And when you read John 12 today you can see he is right.

Mrs. Hinkle showed us that Ciaphas, who prophesied Jesus' death was a Saducee and didn't believe in ressurection or afterlife.

We learned all this in just John 11 so I can't wait to see what we learned at the end of this. Also I will probably put together a booklet of what you guys learned while reading through John if your interested. Keep reading the Bible, and grow closer to God.
Glory to God! God bless all of you!

4 comments:

Maria Devita said...

We have been having this argument in school,"do you choose God or does he choose you."

“He has blinded their eyes
and hardened their hearts,
so they can neither see with their eyes,
nor understand with their hearts,
nor turn—and I would heal them.”

In this verse it looks like God choose not to choose them! I guess it really just depends on what is happening in the bible when he hardens their hearts to not except his word. He also opens the eyes of many people to see his love.

Jackie said...

I learned SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much today!!! Like I stared reading it this morning and I could not finish it because I was going to be late for school! :(

Scripture:
I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels-a plentiful harvest of new lives. John 12:24

Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. John 12:25

Jesus replied, "My light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who work in the darkness cannot see where they are going. John 12:35

Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light." John 12:36

I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. John 12:46

Observation:
John 12:24- In this verse Jesus is talking about himself. Jesus is the kernel. What he is trying to say is that all though a lot of people came to God while he was alive, even more will come after he has gone to be with God in heaven.

John 12:25- This verse really shows you what it means to live for God. You can't care about worldly things because you don't take those things with you. All that matters is what you did for God. Its like this thing on the Christian radio station we listen to, it say: "If you woke up tomorrow with the things you thanked God for today, what would you have?" Well this applies to John 12:25 also because you have to live each day doing things for God. So taking that quote: If you woke up tomorrow with the things that you only did for God today, what would you wake up with?

John 12:35- In this verse Jesus is talking about how we have to find him and once we do we are no longer in the dark. He also wants us to find him and build a relationship with him because once we die to go be with him it will be to late if we don't know him. It like in Matthew 7:7 Jesus says: But I will reply, "I never knew you. Get away from me, you who brake God's laws."

John 12:36- This verse specifically talks about how once we find him there is no turning back, we will always belong to him.

John 12:46- In this verse Jesus is talking about how he came to the world to bring people to God. It is also our job to do this. Once we come to God we ill have eternal life with Jesus in heaven.

Application:
When I was reading this chapter I feel like God was really trying to tell me to bring people to him. So that is my new goal, not only to live my life the way God would want me to but now I really need to work on bringing people to God. :)

Payer:
Time to pray :)

Maria Devita said...

That was so great Jackie i really learned a lot with u just explaining it.

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

I learned something about the washing of Jesus's feet in ointment. I was confused a bit by the mention of the woman's name, Mary, and realizing that here in John 12, this party was taking place to celebrate Lazerus coming back to life and that Martha was serving, and Mary was the one anointing Jesus's feet. So it was Martha's sister, Mary-- that Mary that did this.

This was a puzzle to me at first because I always through about this story from another gospel as the woman being a sinner and using her tears to wash his feet. Now I know all of us are sinners but I recalled there was specific emphasis on the degree of the woman's repentance of her sins through her tears.

Turns out--this is a separate occasion. That one I recalled was in Luke 7 and took place earlier in Christ's ministry. This occasion is actually with Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazerus, and it is that Mary who anointed Chrit's feet with oil.