Thursday, January 3, 2013

Philippians 1

1rst day of Phillippians today. Philippians is my favorite book of the Bible because of how Joyful it makes me feel to read about a church that was following the LORD right and didn't need to be reprimanded by Paul.

Philippians 1:5 because you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now.

I think that is amazing! I always felt like I couldn't share my faith until I knew more about God or was closer to Him, but the people in Phillipi went out and spread the Gospel knowing way less than I do.

Philippians 1:21,22 For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better. Yet if I live, that means fruitful service for Christ. I really don't know which is better.

Paul is such an amazing Christian! Every second he was alive was FRUITFUL service for Jesus Christ. That means no matter if he was in prison, getting beaten, or in court, that time was being used and good results for Christ were coming out of it. I know I waste a lot of time doing worthless stuff. I want to get my life to where it is fruitful service for Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:29 For you have been given not only the privelege of trusting Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him.

This sounds like one of the commercials where at the end they throw in a special offer, like Not only will you get the Proactive Scrub Brush, we will also throw in two free bottles of shampoo! I know for me suffering doesn't get me excited. :( I am going through a desert thing right now and I'm trying to be positive but its not easy. Suffering in a Godly way does bring glory to God though. It brings more glory than living Godly because it's harder to do. That's why I think they say suffering is a privilege.

I'm praying God blesses you in your Bible reading and day today. Don't forget to comment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also really liked verse 21. I read it in the ESV so here is that version.
For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.

I liked they way it says to die is gain. Death for Christians means that we spend eternety worshiping His name. Although its sad to lose someone if tey are Christian then they are with Christ worshiping and glorifying His name. Also it says to live is Christ. This doesnt mean we should make everything in our lives Christ but that our lives should revolve around Him in ways that if non- Christians look into our lives they would see Him

Verse 27
Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so tht whether i come and see you or am absent i may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.

Wow. This verse really stuck out to me today. Basically its saying that we should always act like Christians and how we do at church. I have a really hard time doing that. We should always strive to be more like Christ especially around people we know either don't know Him pr have a good relationship with Him. I often start acting like they do instead of showing them the right way. This week i'm really going to work on this.
Nathan i really liked what you said about suffering being a great privilage because it brings God glory. I will be praying for you. ~abby<3

Unknown said...

Whoa! Philippians 1 was such a great chapter!

Four verses really stood out to me today. They were verse 6, verses 10-11 and I also liked verse 21. :)

Verse 6
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. (NLT)

I like this verse because it talks about how God will always use you to do great things. In fact he will continue to use you until you die.

Verses 10-11
For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ's return. (11) May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation- the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ- for this will bring much glory and praise to God. (NLT)

I like these verses because it reminded me about what I want. I want to live a life that pleases God. When we live a life that is pleasing to God, odds are will probably be pleased with our life too. I also liked these verses because they talk about how when Christ is inside of you, you can rejoice because he will always be in there and he will always guide us down the right path. Also once we trust in God we will be able to do all sorts of amazing things that will bring glory to his name.

Verse 21
For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. (NLT)

I like this verse because it says that when we are living we should live for Christ and when we die we should die for Christ. I really liked what Abby said about when someone dies and they are a Christian they will be going to go and worship God forever in heaven. I also liked what Nathan said about how we waist a lot of time on things that don't matter. I know that I do that. Instead of reading my bible I might watch T.V. or go on Facebook.

Nathan Coupleton said...

Loved what you said Abby about always living like a Christian no matter where you are. Everyone struggles with that. But there is nothing we can do to seperate us from God so we might as well lived saved.
You are definitely right Jackie, when you live a life pleasing to God you will Definintely be pleased with it. I know that the happiest times in my life are when I am following God!

Unknown said...

I rely like verse 3-6