Saturday, January 5, 2013

PHILIPPIANS 3

Sorry this is so very late, I had a wrestling tournament today.
Philippians 3 is super amazing because Paul teaches something that most people believe the OPPOSITE of!
Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, and others all believe you may get to heaven by good works. In Philippians 3 Paul talks about how he obeyed the law without a fault! Before he could even make choices for himself his parents did what the law required them to do them.

PHILIPPIANS 3:7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 

Now that Paul is a Christian he knows that obeying the law and being pretty much perfect was getting him NOWHERE! He was still a sinner deserving death.

Philippians 3:8-9 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 

It took Paul all of his childhood and a good bit of his adult life to realize that everything is worthless when compared with knowing Christ Jesus. Luckily, we can see through his life these lessons without having to live them ourselves. Don't let anything in your life come before Jesus Christ, because IT IS GARBAGE compared to JESUS CHRIST!

Philippians 3:13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,

Whenever, I stop and think about how many times I've messed up in the past and walked away from God, I find myself unable to move forward. Paul says forgets the past because he knows every second of the future is a step closer to God

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know that we read this a few days ago but I never got a chance to comment so now I am. :)

There were two verses that really stood out to me when I read this chapter. They were verse 1 and verse 8.

Verse 1:
Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safe guard your faith. (NLT)

I like this verse because of the part that says: "rejoice in the Lord." I like it because it means that no matter what happens to us, we should always rejoice in the Lord. This can be really hard sometimes, but we just have to know that God has the ultimate plan for us.

Verse 8:
Yes everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discovered everything else, counting it all as garbage, so I could gain Christ. (NLT)

I like this verse because it takes about how things are not going to make us happy, only God will. Also things here on earth won't last forever. But a relationship with God will last forever!