Saturday, December 8, 2012

Acts 20

Good morning everyone! Sorry for the late post! I slept into 9 today. Let's get started with chapter 20.

Paul once again receives a tip that the Jews were plotting to kill him. He makes a smart move and travels around the threat and back through Macedonia. Notice how Luke uses the pronoun "we" meaning Luke was also traveling with them. The even up in Troas were Paul preaches and everyone breaks bread together. During the long sermon, a man falls asleep and fall down three stories! Everyone takes him to be dead, but Paul looks at him and see life in him. The man returns home alive and everyone is comforted. This stories really makes me feel better when I'm tired in church. If someone fell asleep in Paul's sermon, then I won't feel as bad when I feel a bit drowsy. Do sermons put you to sleep? Or are you wide awake spiritually  How can you keep from falling flat?

Paul is getting ready to set sail for Jerusalem. I love verse 24, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying the gospel of God's grace." This verse reminded me of one of my favorite verses 1 Corinthians 9:24. "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." How do you say goodbye to people you love? What do you suppose the Ephesians will miss about Paul?

In the race of doing God's will, are you in the front of the pack, one of the stragglers, or an onlooker?

3 comments:

Brian Hinkle said...

I liked vereses 22- 24 too. that was my favorit because it showes that he is not afraid of anything stoppoing him. He is showing that he will still testify about God's word even though he knows there will be hardships and might even be thrown into prison! When he says, "I consiter my life worth nothing to me," it made me think of him not worying about what his life will be on Earth because he will soon live in Heaven with peace, and rewards for what he he's done in life. I think that is so amazing how he looks foward to his life in Heaven and forgets about all his wories in life, and continues to testify God's word!

Anonymous said...

Brian showed me a youtube video the other day by vsauce which talks about perception. In it (at about 6:10) he says that by 2047 more than half of living Americans will not have been alive to remember anything that you did today. That makes you think. So should your life right now mean ANYTHING to you compared to your eternal life in Christ and the eternal impact He makes through you?

Think about it!

(Ms. Kitty)

Anonymous said...

uyisxte2The youtube video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3unPcJDbCc