Monday, December 3, 2012

Acts 15

Good morning! Here we go with Acts 15!

This chapter is all about a disagreement in the church about the Mosaic Law. In verse 5 the Pharisees said, "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses." The problem was that a lot of the new church was composed of former Jews and to them these rules were important. They thought of Christianity as an extension of Judaism. Why do you think theses rule were important to the former Jews?

To compromise, they wrote a letter to Antioch, Syria and Cilicia. In their letter they told them the only requirements for them was to "abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood  from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality." (v. 29) From the letter and the way it was delivered, what do you learn about the way to solve disagreements among Christians?

Lastly in the chapter, Paul and Barnabas split up. Paul did not want to take John (or Mark) on their journey but Barnabas wanted to. So because of this dispute they went their separate ways. Have you ever lost a friendship because of a religious dispute?

6 comments:

Nathan Coupleton said...

Even though God told Peter that Gentiles could be saved too, it wasn't until this chapter that the Jews really excepted them. The Jews still were angry because up until this point thy were Gods chosen people and very few non Jews got honored by God. I think thy thought of God as their God. They were mad they had to share Him. Thu didn't realize He is big enough for everyone.

Jackie said...

"and so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Acts 15:19 (NLT)

I like this verse because it really reminded me of how I should be acting. I should not be afraid to talk to people about God because of what they look like or how they act. For example one of my teachers said something a few weeks ago that was contradicting the bible. I was really nervous to say something to her about it because she is the teacher. Also there are some kids in my class that say things about God and its obvious that they are not believers! The one kid said he was an Atheist. I get intimidated to talk to these kids because they are really good at debating and that is not something I am good at! However, this verse is talking about how everyone has the right to hear about God. Me being afraid should not stand in the way!

The day my teacher said what she did I came home and looked it up in the bible and found the exacted verse that proved what she was saying wrong. I am now prepared for the next time she says something that is contradicting. And I now know that I should not be afraid of what the kids will say back to me! So what, maybe they won't have anything to say back!

Anonymous said...

I really like what you said Jackie. I have a friend who is morman and i was afraid to talk to her about my faith because she can be intimidating. Last week Christ gave me strength to talk to her about my faith. God gave me the opportunity to reach someone for Him. I'm sure he will give you strength to talk to your teacher and the kid in your class!!~abby<3

Anonymous said...

I like what you said Nathan. I also noticed how they just now started obeying what Christ said "go and make disciples of all nations" matthew 28:19(esv) Jesus couldn't have said it any plainer. His love is not just for some; the good, righteous, important. But His love is for all.~abby<3

Carter Hinkle said...

Who said you have to be circumcised to be saved?

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

Carter, that's a good question. The specific group of people pressing this question was the Pharisees-- teachers of the Hebrews. But these were Pharisees who had accepted and believed in Christ as the one and only Savior. Trouble is, they were so trained to follow Mosaic law, that they were having trouble letting go of the law. They were trying to apply the Mosaic law to Gentiles who had accepted Christ.

It's kind of like if you've been cleaning your room and fixing your bed every day growing up and you go off to college and you no longer need to do it for the sake of following your parents rule, but you've done it every day, so it comes automatically.

Only this time, it's like they're trying to make everyone else fix beds too!